Monday, October 19, 2015

A Letter For Mom and Dad

Dear Mom and Dad,

First of all, I'd like to say congratulations - you made it. Keeping a child alive for eighteen years is no simple feat, and I think you should get credit for all the work you've done. All of the nights you spent up late with me as a baby, and the days you spent taking care of me when I was sick. All of the school lunches you packed, and the tears you dried, and the countless times you have had to battle my ridiculous teenage whims as I've gotten older. That is a lot of work to do, and you did it.

I know that as parents, you have many responsibilities besides just keeping me alive. Some of these responsibilities are optional, extra-mile parenting concepts that you had the freedom to omit, but you didn't. You went the whole nine yards, giving me everything I needed - time, money, love, attention - all at your own expense. You have shown me selflessness even when I am selfish, love even when I am hateful, patience even when I am irritable. I cannot thank you enough for that.

I'm not sure what you were like when I was born, since I cannot remember back that far, but I do know that you both are completely different people now. I've come to realize that no matter how old you get, you are constantly changing and learning new things through your experiences - trials, mistakes, losses, or whatever they may be. Humans change the same way the world does as time passes. Wind and water bring erosion, and before you know it, the earth you once knew is unrecognizable. I have seen you change in many different ways after going through the wind and rain of this life, but you are better because of it. When I look at you now, I see two people who are wise and mature, strong and capable - I see two people who I want to be like. I hope that I can grow to handle life the way you have, with grace and determination.

It is common for people to say that children are a gift, which is very true. We can learn a lot from children and from the joy they bring. But good parents are as much of a gift as a child is. I think good parents are God's gift to us, because it is through them that we can see a little bit of what God's love is like. The relationship between a parent and a child is something inexplainable - how a person's life is changed when their baby is born, how a parent would give up anything for their son or daughter, how they would sacrifice their own life for their child's. This is how God loves us, but on an even greater scale, one that the human mind cannot comprehend.

I am extremely blessed to have you, Mom and Dad. Without you, I would not be here today. Most people are going to tell me that today is my day, but in my opinion, it's your day, too. Thank you, Mom and Dad. I love you!

Love,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment